Woman sped through roadworks while drinking

A Kumara woman who nearly ran over a stop-go man when she sped through roadworks near Murchison while swigging on a bottle of alcohol has been sentenced to community detention and intensive supervision.

Belinda Simpkin had previously pleaded guilty to driving with excess breath-alcohol and dangerous driving.

Lawyer Richard Bodle said Simpkin was involved in a domestic situation and had to distance herself.

"Unfortunately, she chose to drive. She also consumed alcohol on the journey," Mr Bodle said.

It had been 10 years since Simpkin had committed a similar offence.

She had since sold her car, which had taken away any temptation to drive.

Judge Stephen O'Driscoll said the offence arose from an incident in November 23.

"You were drinking as you were driving along the road on the north side of Murchison. You came across some roadworks where there was a 30kph speed limit in place and a stop-go crew."

Simpkin approached the roadworks without slowing down.

The roadworker noticed and waved at her to alert her to stop.

"She failed to stop and the roadworker with a large stop sign had to jump out of the way," the judge said.

She then continued driving towards more roadworks, veered on to the wrong side of the road and other vehicles had to pull over to the side to avoid her crashing into them.

A passing truckie and a roadworker boxed her in, in their vehicles, and took the keys off her. When the police arrived Simpkin was still drinking.

Judge O'Driscoll said the aggravating factors included her excessive speed, dangerous driving, drinking while she was driving, being intoxicated and a danger to other road users.

Mitigating factors were that she had sold her car and had shown remorse.

Judge O'Driscoll said the offending was at the higher end of the scale.

"It is clear that if the roadworker had not jumped clear and had his wits about him, he may have been seriously injured or killed."

The judge said he had considered sending Simpkin to jail, and only stepped back because of some health issues.

Simpkin was on Friday given six months' community detention with a daily curfew from 7pm to 7am, six months' intensive supervision and was disqualified from driving for 18 months.

Judge O'Driscoll also served her with a clear warning: "If you come back to court it is highly likely you will be sentenced to imprisonment."

Add a Comment

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter