EFL rejects Premier League's rescue offer

Sadio Mane of Liverpool battles for possession with Rodrigo of Manchester City during the English...
The Premier League has rejected the EFL's rescue offer. Photo: Getty Images
The English Football League, representing the three divisions below the Premier League, has rejected a £50 million ($NZ97 million) COVID-19 bail-out offer from the top flight, the EFL said.

The Premier League made the offer on yesterday, specifying the money was for the bottom two tiers, League One and League Two, and not for second-tier Championship clubs.

Yet after a meeting of its member clubs on today, the EFL said it wanted a deal which covered all of its teams.

"The need for continued unity across the membership base was fundamental to discussions across all three divisions, and therefore there was a strong consensus that any rescue package must meet the requirements of all 72 Clubs before it can be considered in full," the EFL said in a statement.

"The League has been very clear in its discussions of the financial requirements needed to address lost gate receipts in 2019/20 and 2020/21, and while EFL Clubs are appreciative that a formal proposal has now been put forward, the conditional offer of £50 million falls some way short of this."

The offer from the Premier League was a combination of grants and interest-free loans aimed at helping clubs as they struggle with a lack of matchday revenue caused by restrictions due to COVID-19.

The EFL said it wanted to continue discussions with the Premier League in search of an "agreeable solution" and more long-term solutions.

EFL chairman Rick Parry had been the public face of 'Project Big Picture', backed by Liverpool and Manchester United, which was rejected by Premier League clubs on Wednesday.

Parry's plan proposed a £250 million 'rescue package' for the EFL but was tied to a series of reforms which would have increased the power and revenue share of the top clubs in the Premier League.

That proposal was opposed by the Football Association and the UK government as well as supporters groups and then the Premier League clubs themselves.

Add a Comment

drivesouth-pow-generic-1.png

 

Advertisement

postanote_header_620_x_80.png

postanote_620_x_25.jpg

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter