Kane keen to stay with Spurs

Harry Kane signed a six-year contract with Tottenham in 2018. Photo: Reuters
Harry Kane signed a six-year contract with Tottenham in 2018. Photo: Reuters
Tottenham striker Harry Kane says he will stay at the club and be "100% focused on helping the team achieve success", ending weeks of speculation about a potential move to champions Manchester City.

"It was incredible to see the reception from the Spurs fans on Sunday and to read some of the messages of support I've had in the last few weeks," the England captain wrote on Twitter on Wednesday.

"I will be staying at Tottenham this summer and will be 100% focused on helping the team achieve success."

The 28-year-old was a major target for Manchester City, with City manager Pep Guardiola earlier this month saying that it was up to Tottenham to make the transfer happen.

Manager Nuno Espirito Santo welcomed the news of Kane staying, calling him "one of the best players in the world".

"It's fantastic news... I think since Harry joined us he has been working, so this is what we value. His attitude in training has been excellent. It's finished, Harry is going to be with us," he said.

Kane, who signed a six-year contract at Tottenham in 2018, was keen on a new challenge but an initial bid from City - reportedly worth £100 million ($NZ197 million) - was not enough for Tottenham to let him go.

The striker came back late to pre-season training following Euro 2020 and missed Tottenham's opening two games of the season against City, in the Premier League, and Pacos de Ferreira, in the Europa Conference League play-offs.

He returned to action against Wolverhampton Wanderers on Sunday, coming off the bench to a loud reception by travelling Tottenham fans.

Nuno said Kane could feature in Thursday's second leg against Pacos de Ferreira, with Tottenham trailing 1-0 in the tie.

Tottenham, who have won both their league games so far, host Watford next Sunday.

Add a Comment

drivesouth-pow-generic-1.png

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter