Comment permalink

Rae Baker
Rae Baker
The director of the Queenstown Winter Festival is standing down after two years in the top job.

Rae Baker said it was the right time to "pass the baton on ... there's nothing more to it".

Next year's festival will be held from June 18 to 21.

This year's festival garnered plenty of online attention after reaching an audience of more than 119million people, Ms Baker said.

Early estimates point to a 33% increase in "media reach" on last year for Destination Queenstown's flagship festival.

In total, this equates to about $1.7million in advertising dollars.

The audience figures put the event on the map as a "global festival" with a lasting future, she said

"It proves the festival has longevity, and is an integral part of our community and who we are."

Almost 45,000 people attended last year's festival and $4.4million was brought into the district during the four days.

This year's numbers are still being calculated.

Comments

Why do we want more people here? Hasn't the local council declared a crisis? Why are we bringing people into a climate disaster zone?

 

Advertisement

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter