You are not permitted to download, save or email this image. Visit image gallery to purchase the image.
Ask a Chef reveals the secrets of those superb dishes you ate in cafes and restaurants and wanted to try yourself.
Gluten free, raw sugar free
1½ cups goji berries
1½ cups sultanas or raisins
1½ cups cranberries
3 cups brown rice syrup
¾ cup peanut butter
½ tsp salt
1 Tbsp cinnamon
2 cups gluten-free flour
2 cups fine coconut
4½ cups peanuts, toasted
3 cups sunflower seeds
¼ cup coconut oil or raw cacao butter
¼ cup maple syrup
¼ cup rice syrup
1 cup cacao, raw
½ cup water
1. Soak sultanas, cranberries and goji berries in hot water for 15 minutes. Drain.
2. Heat brown rice syrup until it softens a bit (be careful not to overheat), mix in peanut butter, salt and cinnamon until well combined.
3. In a blender, mix the peanuts until they resemble couscous.
4. Add the peanuts to the brown rice syrup mix along with the flour, coconut, drained berries and sunflower seeds. Mix well. Press in to a lined 50cm x 35cm baking tray.
5. Bake at 160degC fan bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
6. Leave to cool and cut into 24 slices.
7. Drizzle with sugar-free (vegan) chocolate and garnish with pumpkin and sunflower seeds.
Mix all ingredients in a pot on low heat.
Add water if needed, but carefully.
- Recipe provided by Fedeli Cafe, Wanaka. Recipe requested by Laura Clydesdale.
If you have enjoyed a dish in an Otago cafe or restaurant and would like the recipe, write to Ask a Chef, Features, Otago Daily Times, PO Box 517, Dunedin, or email email@example.com, including your name, address and a daytime telephone number, and we will request it.