Schapelle Corby released from jail

Schapelle Corby has her head covered as she sits in the Denpasar Parole board office following...
Schapelle Corby has her head covered as she sits in the Denpasar Parole board office following her release today from Kerobokan Prison in Bali. REUTERS/Jason Reed
Australian Schapelle Corby was nervous and asking about the huge media presence outside Kerobokan jail before her release today.

Corby, 36, is out of prison after more than nine years locked up for drug smuggling.

After she rushed into a waiting prison van, she was taken under police escort to the prosecutor's office in Denpasar.

She obscured her face with not only a hat and veil, but a sarong under the veil.

She did not utter a word to the media pack of up to 60, who were shouting questions at her.

She spent about 30 minutes being interviewed by prosecutors, joined by her brother-in-law, Wayan Widyartha.

Prison boss Farid Junaedi told reporters Corby's condition on Monday morning was "just fine, only a little bit nervous and asking why there's so many people and reporters''.

"She took her make-up and clothes,'' he said.

Mr Junaedi said Corby was searched before she was released.

"After she was clear, then she could get out,'' he said.

"According to the last data, Corby will stay in her sister's (Mercedes) house.''

Corby's next stop after the prosecutor's office was the corrections office in Denpasar, known as Bapas, where she arrived at 9.15am local time (12.15am AEDT) under escort.

Earlier, Mr Junaedi said Mercedes didn't join her husband at the jail because of the crush when she visited on Friday.

He said if Corby violated her parole, he would "pull her back''.

In Queensland, her mother Roseleigh Rose celebrated Corby's release with champagne and dancing at her home in Loganlea.

An elated Ms Rose was screaming and crying as she watched Corby leave the prison on television.

"It was just beautiful to see my beautiful Schapelle come out from those doors,'' she told the Seven Network.

Corby was seen through a window inside the offices, surrounded by friends, family and police as she spoke to officials.

Sitting slumped in a chair so the back of her head was facing the large media pack assembled outside, Corby's face was covered with a scarf and hat.

Agung Bagus Kusimantara, head of the Intelligence Section in Denpasar's Prosecutions Office, said Corby cried at one point in her interview.

"We asked her about her condition and she once cried, saying she's still in trauma over the journalists,'' he said.

Prosecutors got Corby to sign a release letter, stamped three of her fingers and took a photo, he said.

"Later on, each month she has to report herself here. In this process, she must come herself and can't be represented,'' he said.

Earlier the convicted drug smuggler had to battle through a media scrum to enter the offices of Bali's correction board.

Ms Corby was escorted by police, who got into a shoving match with about 30 media as they tried to film and photograph her.

She later left the parole meeting in a private vehicle.

People were clinging to the roof of the car. The Seven Network's Sunday Night crew with reporter Michael Willesee were reportedly driving behind, leading to speculation that they have secured the rights to Corby's first interview.

A van pulled into the middle of the road blocking all other traffic.

She had yet to show up at her brother-in-law family's Kuta compound.

She cannot leave Indonesia until her sentence is completed in 2017.


Add a Comment