You are not permitted to download, save or email this image. Visit image gallery to purchase the image.
The clean-up was the first step towards the restoration of the gun emplacements and tunnel area, and the creation of greater public access to the site.
Otago Peninsula Community Board chairman Paul Pope said it was part of a long-term project aimed at gradually recovering the many interesting and historical military features of the battery.
Southern Heritage Trust military historian Peter Trevathan said the battery was an important historical site.
"It was one of the last Russian scare batteries constructed in Dunedin due to the threat of a Russian invasion."
"It was also used during World War 2 but was abandoned before the war was over."
Mr Pope said the site had since fallen into disrepair.
"It's had a bit of a hard time. It's nice to get it tidied up and get some of the rubbish out.
"This is a good time to remind people that this is an historical site, and it's important that they give it the level of respect it is due.
"If people come here, great. But they need to take their rubbish with them."
About 20 people, including cadet forces from the Air Training Corps No 42 (City of Dunedin) Squadron and the Otago Peninsula Community Board were at the site on Saturday picking up rubbish.
Mr Pope said a working group - consisting of the Dunedin City Council, Heritage New Zealand, the Otago Peninsula Community Board and Southern Heritage Trust representatives - was set up last year to work with iwi on a long-term management plan for the historic site, which is on private land.
The ultimate goal was to provide information about the site, and help visitors understand the heritage of the battery, from its Maori origins through to its European military development.