Cable car plan sessions

The group behind the proposed High St cable car is hosting public meetings on Sunday to discuss planning for the multimillion-dollar project.

The Dunedin Cable Car Group was aiming to raise an initial $2 million to build a cablecar terminus at Mornington Park by March 2017, chairman Phil Cole said.

That date would coincide with the 60th anniversary of the closure of the original High St to Mornington line, which opened in 1883 and closed in March 1957.

Once that first phase was completed, the group aimed to raise funds to install the track and build the cable cars.

Mr Cole said there had been ongoing discussions with council staff, who had ''been very helpful and encouraging ... and hopefully we get the go-ahead for us to use High St''.

The group would hold two public meetings to provide information on the project, including details on how people could help and a question and answer session, Mr Cole said.

The meetings will be held at the Hutton Theatre at the Otago Museum on Sunday between 1pm and 3pm, and 3pm and 5pm. Entry is by gold coin donation.

Add a Comment

 

drivesouth-pow-generic-1.png

 

Advertisement

postanote_header_620_x_80.png

postanote_620_x_25.jpg

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter