Columba College holding to adage the show will go on

High School Musical cast members (from left) Grace Johnston (17), Charlotte Werner (18) and...
High School Musical cast members (from left) Grace Johnston (17), Charlotte Werner (18) and Millie George (18), all of Columba College, are set for the opening night of their school production next Tuesday. PHOTO: PETER MCINTOSH
Despite the difficulties Covid Alert Level 2 poses for holding a school musical production, Columba College is going ahead with its production of High School Musical this year.

Principal Pauline Duthie said staff and pupils had already tried to put the show on at the Mayfair twice — once last year, and again last month — but both times they had to be postponed because of Covid lockdowns.

"We were right into it this year. Rehearsals for the show were fantastic.

"It was energetic. There was a burst of colour and enthusiasm from the students and staff involved, and we were ready to go.

"Wednesday [August 18] was the opening night, and we went into Level 4 lockdown on the Tuesday night [August 17].

"That was devastating. We got so close."

Mrs Duthie said it would have been very easy for the school to just cut its losses and cancel the show.

"But the major consideration was to give the students their time on the stage. They’ve earned it.

"It would not only give the students a chance to perform in front of an audience, but actually give them some reward for all the effort that they’ve put in."

So they re-scheduled the show to run from Tuesday until October 1, for audiences of 100 socially distanced and masked people.

The college also had the rights to professionally film one of the live performances and screen it online for those who could not attend, she said.

Ticket-holders would receive a refund or could be given free access to the online performance.

She said tickets to the live show would be given to the families of cast, crew and year 13 pupils first.

"It’s taken a lot of logistics, but at the end of the day, that’s what we’re there for — to give them this opportunity."

john.lewis@odt.co.nz


 

Add a Comment

 

drivesouth-pow-generic-1.png

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter