Confusion over whether bar breached Covid-19 rules

Dive owner Mike McLeod said they had researched the Covid alert level rules and did not believe...
Dive owner Mike McLeod said they had researched the Covid alert level rules and did not believe restrictions such as being seated or table service applied at private functions. Photo: ODT files
A statement from the Ministry of Health has left it unclear whether an event at a Dunedin bar breached level 2 restrictions.

It comes after police said they were investigating a raft of issues, including level 2 breaches and people vomiting over a balcony, at a 21st birthday party that took place at Dive, formerly known as The Cook, on Friday night.

The owner believes there were no issues with the event and said his reading of the Government rules was it was allowed under level 2 without the same restrictions usually in place at bars.

Police continue to say they are investigating level 2 breaches, but a statement from the Ministry of Health sent to the Otago Daily Times this afternoon suggests the event may have been allowed without the usual restrictions.

A Ministry of Health spokeswoman said some gatherings could qualify as "special functions''.

A number of requirements needed to be met to qualify, including ensuring there was a clear and genuine purpose for the event, having a member of the gathering group agreeing in advance to be the "organiser", ensuring the organiser took responsibility for contact tracing, and using a designated private function room (unless the entire venue was being hired out).

Police said they were called to the bar at 11.30pm on Friday after reports of people smoking cannabis and flicking cigarette butts into a recycling bin containing cardboard.

Acting Senior Sergeant Anthony Bond said police did not locate cannabis when they arrived at the scene, but were told people had been vomiting over the balcony.

Photo: Gregor Richardson
Photo: Gregor Richardson
There were also breaches of alert level 2 Covid restrictions, he said. The 90 people present were not seated and there was no table service.
Bar staff stated they did not have to follow those rules due to it being a private function, he said.

The security guard presented an expired licence, and there was confusion around who the duty manager was - the person whose name was on the duty manager board said the person behind the bar was actually in charge.

Dive operator Mike McLeod said as far as he was aware, police had no issues with behaviour at the event.

He said they had researched the alert level rules and did not believe restrictions such as being seated or table service applied at private functions.

According to the Government's Covid-19 website, social gatherings under level 2 are limited to 100 people and physical distancing should be maintained where possible.

When asked to clarify the situation, Dunedin police alcohol harm prevention officer Sergeant Ian Paulin said private gatherings at licenced premises still needed to have people seated and being served by one person.

That issue was part of the police investigation into the incident, he said.

Mr McLeod was not aware of anyone vomiting over the balcony.

"They were really quite well behaved."

As for the security guard, Mr McLeod believed he was fully licensed and was not aware of the licence being expired.

"As far as I'm aware, the police had no issues." 

Comments

Get with the programme. Policing is not your area of expertise.

Oh dear, it looks like 'The Dive' is living up to its new name.

Remove the licence. The arrogance of the owner and the selfish stupidity of the patrons is appalling. It isn't an essential service and the world will be a better place without it.

Yet the same police force let thousands march and break the Covid rules in the country's hotspot???
It would appear policing is not the police force's area of expertise either.

Not the same precinct.

 

drivesouth-pow-generic-1.png

 

Advertisement

postanote_header_620_x_80.png

postanote_620_x_25.jpg

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter