Accessory charge in Glenleith murder case

A woman has been accused of ‘‘disposing of evidence’’ to cover for an alleged murderer following a Dunedin homicide.

The 47-year-old defendant appeared in the Dunedin District Court yesterday charged as an accessory, which carries a maximum penalty of seven years’ imprisonment.

She was granted bail by Judge David Robinson on condition she abide by an 8pm-8am curfew and not contact her co-defendant.

A 43-year-old hairdresser was earlier charged with the murder of a 41-year-old woman and has since appeared in the High Court at Dunedin where she pleaded not guilty.

All parties have been granted interim name suppression.

The murder charge was laid last month after police found a body in an area of dense bush at the rear of a Glenleith property.

However, according to court documents, the killing was alleged to have taken place two months earlier on August 6.

The charge sheets for the alleged accessory stated she ‘‘assisted [the alleged killer] by disposing of evidence in order to enable her to avoid arrest’’, which happened at least a week later.

She will appear in the High Court next month.

The murder accused has been remanded in custody and is scheduled to be back before a judge in February.

‘‘The homicide investigation is ongoing,’’ police said.

rob.kidd@odt.co.nz

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter