Otago prisoner on attempted murder charge named

A prisoner accused of the attempted murder of a fellow inmate can now be named.

Anthony John Wheble (23) did not want name suppression, the High Court at Dunedin heard yesterday.

He was imprisoned at Otago Corrections Facility (OCF) on October 20 when the incident took place.

St John at the time confirmed the 32-year-old complainant was taken to Dunedin Hospital by helicopter after the alleged attack.

Crown prosecutor Richard Smith told the court the man had spent some time in hospital during which he had requested his identity be kept under wraps.

Justice Gerald Nation suppressed the man's name until at least the next hearing of the matter in February 2019.

Counsel David More said he was reluctant to enter a plea on behalf of Wheble since the man had been transferred to Auckland Prison in Paremoremo and the pair had not met face to face.

Wheble appeared in court by audiovisual link.

Justice Nation proceeded on the basis the charges would be defended and set a provisional trial down for September next year.

If there was to be a guilty plea, he said, the matter could be brought on before Christmas.

OCF director Dave Miller said staff acted immediately to stop the incident last month.

Corrections would carry out a full investigation, he said, and would ensure CCTV footage, was provided to police.

Add a Comment

1218b006_620x60_v2.jpg

1218b006_620x40_v2.jpg