Decision reserved following inquest into teen's death

A coroner has reserved his decision on an inquest into the death of an 18-year-old who was king-hit outside a Dunedin bar more than 10 years ago.

Nicholas Munro died in Dunedin Hospital days after he was punched near a taxi stand outside the former Two Bears bar in Frederick St in March 2005.

An inquest was held in the Coroner's Court at Dunedin yesterday after two police investigations found the person who threw the punch had acted in self-defence and no charges were laid.

Coroner David Crerar ordered a continued suppression of that person's name, his parents' names and any information heard in the inquest.

Mr Munro's father, John, spoke to the Otago Daily Times after the hour-long inquest and said he still believed police had ''got it wrong''.

''They put too much emphasis on [the person's] statement,'' he said.

''He is the only one that said Nick was raining punches down on him and [that] he got sick of it so struck back.

''I've spoken to a lot of witnesses and no-one else has said that.''

He acknowledged his son had been involved in an altercation with the man before he was struck.

The second investigation was held after Mr Munro made his own inquiries into his son's death and took his concerns about the initial investigation to police.

The second investigation was completed in February 2006.

In October 2009, Mr Munro made a complaint to the Independent Police Conduct Authority.

That was completed a year later and the authority also found police had been correct in not laying charges.

An earlier inquest, in 2008, was adjourned after Mr Munro indicated to Mr Crerar he intended to lodge a complaint with the authority.

Mr Munro said the family planned to compose itself before deciding what further action to take.

Add a Comment

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter