Double bus stop contentious

Knox Church. Photo by Peter McIntosh.
Knox Church. Photo: Peter McIntosh.
A contentious proposed extended bus stop outside Dunedin’s Knox Church is a sticking point for a hearing about parking changes in the city.

The Knox block of George St is set to lose about a dozen carparks and retailers are unconvinced about the need for a double bus stop there.

They are also concerned traffic will not be able to turn left into the block from Pitt St.

City property investor Jason LaHood, who has been advocating for businesses in Knox Row, told a Dunedin City Council hearing yesterday he was worried about the cumulative impact.

"The current economic environment is difficult enough without losing customers from reduced parking and the inability to turn left from Pitt St into Knox Row," he said.

"A significant number of customers arrive in Knox Row via Pitt St."

Retailers were concerned about loss of parks, and having more bus activity next to a much-photographed church would not be great for the area’s amenity, he said.

Mr LaHood suggested moving the proposed stop north, preferably to the other side of Albany St, or trialling a single stop.

Council staff indicated shifting the stop out of the Knox block would need to be acceptable to the Otago Regional Council, which manages bus services in the city.

A double bus stop was consistent with national guidelines and should ease congestion pressures, they said.

The hearings committee signalled it would need to seek more information.

It adjourned yesterday afternoon and is to reconvene on Thursday next week.

The Knox block is due to reopen to traffic this month, following completion of that section of the George St upgrade.

Retailers have expressed some support for the work, saying they look forward to its completion.

Mr LaHood said retailers were wary of obstacles to the row receiving traffic.

"The Knox Row retailers are concerned that due consideration has not been given to their parking requirements or protecting the benefits that the church brings to the area," Mr LaHood said.

Property owners and retailers were disappointed by lack of consultation about the "no left turn", Mr LaHood said.

The Knox block has already had a significant redesign after proposed loss of parking was raised as a concern.

The redesign last year reduced the amount of outdoor space for cafes and pedestrians and deleted one bus stop to reduce parking losses.

Further feedback came into the council this year from some businesses.

More outdoor space was then removed from the design and three parks were added nearby in Pitt St.

"The amenity space on the western side is limited and the options for reducing the loss without compromising on bus stops that meet design guidelines or removing the steps to Knox Church have been exhausted," council staff said in documentation for the hearing.

grant.miller@odt.co.nz

 

Advertisement