You are not permitted to download, save or email this image. Visit image gallery to purchase the image.
A barefoot Maddren, dressed in a green sweatshirt and sweatpants, appeared in the Dunedin District Court yesterday afternoon.
Last week his mother, Tanya Kelso, made an emotional plea for her son to hand himself in.
She was told of his recapture via a text message from a family member, and later told the Otago Daily Times ''I am really happy, really, really happy; I am so happy''.
She planned to be in court for his next appearance.
During yesterday's appearance Maddren, lacking the mullet haircut described by police after his escape and with his feet bruised and bloody, kept his eyes fixed on a corner of the court.
He faced two new charges: the burglary of shearers quarters and escaping from the Otago Corrections Facility on June 3.
Judge Kevin Phillips remanded him in custody without plea until Tuesday.
The Department of Corrections said in a statement it was pleased Maddren had been arrested. He became the first person to escape from the Otago Corrections Facility and the first to escape from any prison this year.
Corrections declined to comment on whether moves had been made to alter Maddren's escape route to prevent future escapes.
Otago Corrections Facility manager Jack Harrison said an operational review of the escape was under way.
This involves interviewing staff, prisoners and those who searched for Maddren.
''We cannot comment in more detail until the review has been completed,'' he said.
He acknowledged the immediate response and efforts of police, in particular Clutha Taieri area response manager Senior Sergeant Al Dickie and his staff, ''who worked long hours in extremely cold conditions''.
Mr Harrison said he would like to recognise the efforts of his team and to acknowledge the impact the incident had on prison neighbours and the wider community.