Silence over alleged assault at prison

Authorities are keeping silent about an alleged assault at the Otago Corrections Facility which led to a Corrections officer being stood down.

The incident occurred during the weekend of September 16-17, but neither the police investigation nor the Department of Corrections employment investigation into the matter has been completed. Neither organisation is commenting at this stage.

``The investigation is ongoing and there are no further updates from what we told you last week. We cannot go into further details while this incident is still under investigation,'' Corrections said in a statement.

``The investigation is ongoing. For that reason no further information is available at this time,'' the officer in charge of the police investigation, Detective Constable Amy Stewart, said.

It is understood the incident involved the officer throwing objects - including a stapler - at a prisoner before a physical confrontation resulted in bruising to the prisoner's neck.

Corrections would not comment on the allegations.

 

Add a Comment

 

2202013-620x80.jpg

2202013-620x40.jpg