Sunken crane recovered

A diver (right) enters the water to attach a line to the body of the sunken crane.
A diver (right) enters the water to attach a line to the body of the sunken crane.
A second crane lifts the stricken machine from the mud. Photos by Craig Baxter.
A second crane lifts the stricken machine from the mud. Photos by Craig Baxter.

A salvage operation yesterday recovered a crane that toppled into Otago Harbour at Burkes, near Dunedin, last week.

A spokeswoman for KiwiRail said the adjacent section of railway was closed from midday to about 6.30pm as contractors carefully lifted the crane.

The spokeswoman said parts of the crane were removed on Friday to make the remainder lighter, and the last of it was removed yesterday in a "slow and steady" process before being taken by flatbed wagon to a rail yard.

On Thursday morning contractors were replacing Bridge 218 on the main south railway line when the crane, which was on an adjacent staging platform, fell into the Burkes inlet.

The Department of Labour is investigating.

- Photo prints available from otagoimages.co.nz.

 

Add a Comment

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter