Man accused of toddler's murder loses name suppression

Police outside the Weymouth house where Arapera Moana Aroha Fia was found injured. Photo: Craig...
Police outside the Weymouth house where Arapera Moana Aroha Fia was found injured. Photo: Craig Kapitan
An Auckland man who has been charged with murder following the Halloween night death of 2-year-old Arapera Moana Aroha Fia can now be identified.

Name suppression lapsed this evening for 21-year-old Māngere resident Tyson Brown.

Name suppression remains in place, however, for his co-defendant - a 21-year-old woman who has been charged with manslaughter. Other details of the case also remain restricted from publication.

Arapera died at Starship children's hospital in Auckland on October 31, hours after she was found with critical injuries at a home in the suburb of Weymouth.

She has been described by people who knew her as a "sweet, beautiful li'l girl".

No other people are being sought for the death of the toddler, Detective Inspector Warrick Adkin said after the two were arrested last month.

"Investigations involving the suspicious deaths of children have a profound effect on the whānau and our wider community," Adkin said. "Often these investigations can be impeded by members of the whānau failing to come forward with information or co-operating with police."

He commended family members who co-operated with police in the investigation, as well as others in the community who came forward.

"We all have a responsibility to protect our most vulnerable to prevent these tragedies," he said.

Last Wednesday, Justice Sally Fitzgerald gave the lawyers for both defendants until 5pm today to file applications outlining why suppression should continue. Brown's lawyer has since told the judge his client no longer wishes to pursue suppression.

The woman is expected to fight for continued name suppression at a hearing scheduled for February at the High Court at Auckland.

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter