Tearful apology from Pike River rescue leader

Gary Knowles
Gary Knowles
The top policeman who fronted the Pike River rescue made a tearful apology to families, and said he was personally gutted at some of their criticisms of him, during the Royal Commission of Inquiry in Greymouth today.

Incident controller Superintendent Gary Knowles said informing the families all hope was lost after the second massive explosion, was the hardest day of his career.

He sat in the carpark outside the meeting preparing, with Peter Whittall, chief executive of Pike River Coal, watching the families arrive.

Mr Whittall said he wanted to break the news, but once inside the hall, Mr Whittall revealed plans to enter the mine and people clapped.

Mr Knowles said he had to interject, saying that had not been able to happen, and there had been a second explosion.

"I have never seen such an outpouring of grief in my life,'' he said. "It was not the way the message should have been given. I apologise to each of you for the way that message was given.''

He said he did not blame Mr Whittall - he had been unable to face the task.

Many family members wept in court after the apology; Mr Knowles sipped water and took time to compose himself.

Families spokesman Bernie Monk accepted the apology in an adjournment, and shook Mr Knowles' hand: the police had worked tirelessly, and were themselves fathers and brothers, Mr Monk said.

"Mistakes were made, and everyone was at the commission to learn from them,'' he said

Mr Knowles also said he was personally gutted by some of the families' briefs to the Commission. He could understand their criticism "but at the end of the day I did my best''.

At least six hours a day was spent in media or family meetings, or preparing for them. Once committed, he felt he could not back out.

Families were kept informed via text, given an 0800 number and a secure website for information. A script was read to family members overseas. There were 48 family meetings, and each family was assigned a liaison officer.

However, not all information was conveyed and Mines Rescue manager Trevor Watts refused to meet the families, something they would have greatly appreciated, Mr Knowles said.

Mr Knowles also revealed he was at the mine site when the second explosion occurred, as plans were made for a possible rescue attempt.

However, Australian mines inspector Kenneth Singer said ``something's not right, asked for more time - then the blast came''.

Mr Knowles said Mr Whittall, who had 35 years' mining experience on the night of the blast, believed the men could be alive and rescued.

Mines Rescue said early on the mine should be sealed, but Mr Knowles, his voice faltering at times, said the consensus was that this was not an option until they knew no one was alive.

"Everyone involved in the rescue operation held the general hope the men would be rescued. It was my honest belief from those who knew the mine best. It would have been immoral on day two to close the mine and go home.''

Department of Labour staff said they had instructions the mine was not to be sealed until there was no chance of survival.

Mr Knowles also explained the chaos at the mine when he arrived after the disaster: there was no cellphone coverage, no computer access and limited phonelines. All gas monitoring had been knocked out.

The numbers of those underground varied from 25 to 31 and next of kin details were out of date.

There was a media scrum, with them trying to break in, fly over the scene, and talk to family members, he said. Once the incident plan was put in place, things felt more unified.

In 34 years of policing, he had never worked on such a complex case, but risk assessments were necessary.

With hindsight, things which needed improving were parallel contingency planning, more operational decisions made in Greymouth and changes to family and media liaison to free up the incident controller.

Earlier in the day inquiry commissioner Stewart Bell, head of Mine Safety and Health for Queensland, grilled assistant police commissioner and operation head Grant Nicholls on why he did not involve a mining expert.

- Greymouth Star

Add a Comment

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter