Two more sought over Featherston death

Two more people are being sought over the brutal death of Featherston man Glen Jones.

Police yesterday arrested three people over the Saturday morning attack on the 40-year-old, which has shocked Mr Jones' family and the wider Featherston community.

Two women, aged 32 and 22, and a 28-year-old man will appear in Masterton District Court today charged with aggravated burglary.

Detective Inspector Sean Hansen this morning said police had spoken to three more people overnight and were seeking two further people.

"What I'd like to say is, we know who they are. They know we're looking for them and I urge them to come forward to police. Now is the opportunity to come forward," he told Radio New Zealand.

"There's a large group of people who have been involved with the entire incident, and again the inquiry will establish exactly what part or what degree they were involved."

Mr Hansen said burglary charges were most commonly linked to theft, but could also cover entering a property to commit violent acts on people.

"Hence the reason for the aggravated burglary charge."

Police hoped to establish whether further charges would be laid over the next week or two.

Mr Hansen said weapons had been used, but he could not disclose what they were.

He said the investigation was looking at whether Mr Jones knew his attackers, but had ruled out a connection with gangs or drugs.

"We are confident that it's not random, and that the people of the Featherston community can feel as safe in their homes as they did before this incident on Friday."

Mr Hansen acknowledged the help of the public and a community patrol operating on Friday night, which had provided a car licence plate number.

"And I acknowledge the fantastic job that these community patrols do, not just in places like Featherston but right across New Zealand."

Preliminary results from a post mortem examination completed at Wellington Hospital confirmed that Mr Jones died of head injuries.

Police are appealing for any sightings of a white Holden Commodore with the registration GHE787.

The vehicle was in Masterton late on Friday night before it was driven to Carterton and then on to Featherston.

Police believe it was near the scene in Revans St around midnight before heading over the Rimutaka Hill to Wellington.

It visited various locations in the Hutt Valley and Wellington City before returning to Masterton in the early hours of Saturday morning.

Add a Comment