Drivers warned of delays as work begins

Working on Nevis Bluff, above State Highway 6, earlier this week are Roman Alty (left) and Liam...
Working on Nevis Bluff, above State Highway 6, earlier this week are Roman Alty (left) and Liam Kemp. PHOTO: NZTA WAKA KOTAHI
Travellers have been warned to factor in delays as safety work on Nevis Bluff on State Highway 6 gets under way.

The autumn rockfall safety programme began earlier this month on the large landscape between Cromwell and Queenstown.

NZ Transport Agency Waka Kotahi said people should be ready for delays and allow some extra time for journeys between the two towns.

The work is scheduled for about five weeks, expected to finish on June 14.

Some detonations have been planned for the coming days.

Crews will be working on SH6 between 8am and 5pm on weekdays, subject to weather conditions.

NZTA Central Otago maintenance and contract manager Peter Standring said he was aware the delays could be frustrating, and asked people to be patient and understand that they were necessary to ensure the safety of road users.

Mr Standring said there would be one or two days where closures of up to an hour would be necessary for blasting work.

It is anticipated that these will be occurring towards the end of this month and into June.

Road users will be given as much advance notice about the blast closure days and times as possible, with electronic signs advertising these longer closures a day or two ahead.

 

Advertisement

OUTSTREAM