Water restored to Roxburgh

Clean-up work on SH8 near Roxburgh after the flooding. Photo: Tom Kitchin
Clean-up work on SH8 near Roxburgh after the flooding. Photo: Tom Kitchin
Water has been restored to Roxburgh residents, Central Otago District Council chief executive Leanne Mash announced this afternoon.

Ms Mash said this afternoon water had been restored, but residents would still need to boil water before consuming for several days.

Meanwhile SH8 between Millers Flat and the Roxburgh Dam is unlikely to be open until late on Friday, it was announced this morning.

The council was asking people taking the detour along Teviot Rd to keep their speeds down, as the road was not a highway, and for people travelling to and from Central Otago to use SH85 or SH6 instead.

Teviot Valley Community Board chairman Raymond Gunn this morning said even though the roads were not "too bad", they did not know the full extent of the damage to the water pipes and sewers, and the dust and sediment in the town would need to be cleared before heavy traffic came through.

Mr Gunn said he was "hopeful" the water supply would come back on later today but could not promise anything.

Mr Gunn said clean-up teams would clear rubble from affected areas by the creeks today.

He said council representatives would door knock in Roxburgh today to advise residents to turn their water tobies off and to boil water once it comes back on.

The Minister of Civil Defence Kris Faafoi will visit Roxburgh this afternoon.

Detours are still in place, so travel between Millers Flat and the Roxburgh Dam is still possible.

Mr Gunn said there was very little rain yesterday afternoon and last night. However, they did sandbag buildings in case of another storm.

Central Otago Mayor Tim Cadogan will not be in Roxburgh today due to prior commitments.

The Central Otago District Council said the priority today would be to restore water to households and businesses in Roxburgh and the water network's pipes and pumps would be tested for damage and leaks.

A council spokeswoman said residents should wait until they were officially told by CODC it was fine to turn back on their water toby. Residents would then need to boil the water until they were told it was safe not to.

The sewarge system would only be attended to one the water was on, she said.

Kerbside rubbish collection would still happen tomorrow as normal.

A boil water notice was still in place for Lake Roxburgh Village.

 - reporting by Tom Kitchin

WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW

What CODC needs residents to do

Residents should wait until they are officially told by council that water can be turned back on at the toby. Once their supply is restored, all water used for drinking, preparing food and cleaning teeth needs to be boiled until further notice is given that the water is safe to drink. Residents are also being asked to limit water use to essential personal and household activities only.

Lake Roxburgh Village water

A boil water notice is in place for Lake Roxburgh Village. Residents are asked to continue the great efforts conserving water and limiting to domestic use only.

Wastewater

Once the water supply has been successfully restored work will begin on reconnecting the sewerage system. This is another process that needs to be done carefully and in stages so as not to overload the system. Repairs to pipes and pump stations are in progress, but some damage may not be apparent until the system is live.

Tankers and portaloos

Water tankers and portaloos remain in place around Roxburgh and Lake Roxburgh Village and the community is reminded to use good hygiene practices.

Roading

Residents should keep speed down on the Teviot Rd town detour route as it is not a highway. SH8 remains closed from the golf course at the south to the pump house station north of the town.

Limiting traffic in and around Roxburgh will allow contractors the best possible conditions for a working through restoring water and wastewater to the town.

Waste collection

The red bin kerbside collection will be happening on Thursday as usual. Residents are asked not to overfill their bins or use them for sludge or greenwaste. Bin lids must close for the truck to be able to pick up your red bin.

There are now three rubbish skips around town for resident to use when getting rid of large items that were damaged in the flood. We strongly urge residents not to throw any possessions out until they have been in touch with their insurance company and any damage has been assessed. There are two bins at the Baptist Church on Scotland St and one outside the school.

Debris removal

Any flood debris on individual properties should be piled towards the front of the property for pick up in due course. Residents are asked to refrain from putting this rubbish, including sludge mud and silt down the stormwater network. Contractors will be working through trucking this away over the course of the week.

 

Add a Comment