Electrical fault sparks cow shed fire

An electrical fault sparked a fire in a Southland farm's cow shed earlier today.

Fire and Emergency New Zealand crews were alerted to the blaze in Turnbull Rd, Winton, about 11.15am.

Southern communications shift manager Andrew Norris said it was understood to be an electrical fault which started the small fire.

A few crews were called to the scene but had since been stood down, while one from Winton remained early this afternoon.

The fire had since been extinguished, however, firefighters would wait for the electrical company to arrive and isolate the power.

No cows were affected.

 

drivesouth-pow-generic-1.png

 

Advertisement

postanote_header_620_x_80.png

postanote_620_x_25.jpg

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter