SdE ‘welcomes’ recycling contract’s end

Southland Disability Enterprises [SdE] has "welcomed" the discontinuation of its contract with WasteNet for processing Southland’s recycling, its chairman said.

In a statement released earlier this week, Southland Disability Enterprises chairman Stephen O’Connor said the announcement the contract would cease on June 30 provided the company with the certainty it had been seeking.

"[It] allows us to engage constructively with the Invercargill City Council (ICC) on terms and conditions for processing the city’s recycling from 1 July 2020."

Southland (SDC) and Gore (GDC) District Councils would explore alternative options for processing recycling in their respective areas, he said.

"In addition, we are also in negotiation with other organisations, who are seeking solutions to their recycling processing."

While it was disappointing SDC and GDC had chosen to pursue other options, including landfill processing, it had become clear the functionality of WasteNet was beyond repair, he said.

"It has been obvious for some time that these organisations were not prepared to work with SdE."

Despite the ever-changing and challenging recyclable product market, SdE remained in a financially sound position, he said.

"SdE has continued to perform at a level above expectations in meeting its obligations under the current WasteNet contract ..."

The company’s focus on providing meaningful employment and personal development opportunities for people with disabilities would be maintained.

"Our people remain our priority and are a particular focus at the present time, as like all employers, we consider the consequences of the Covid-19 pandemic."

Mr O’Connor acknowledged finalising contractual arrangements for July 1 onwards would take some time.

However, he was confident SdE’s future in recycling services could be secured.


 

Add a Comment

ev-and-hybrid-banner-updated_0.jpg

 

Advertisement

postanote_header_620_x_80.png

postanote_620_x_25.jpg

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter