Riveting fare from Mosgiel, Green Island

Green Island’s Matt Brazier controls the ball on his chest as Mosgiel’s Cam McPhaill defends...
Green Island’s Matt Brazier controls the ball on his chest as Mosgiel’s Cam McPhaill defends during their Southern Premier League match at Memorial Park on Saturday. PHOTO: PETER MCINTOSH
The derby match between Mosgiel and Green Island was an absorbing encounter right from the start.

The sides played out a 3-3 draw at Memorial Park in the Southern Premier League.

Green Island had Josh Hook starting in goals, replacing the suspended Christian Firth, and star player Matt Brazier was heavily bandaged.

Mosgiel took the lead in the 25th minute when Rahan Ali showed great technique to spin, beat defenders and draw the keeper, before coolly shooting low into the left corner.

Caleb Osborne had another shot hit the crossbar with a thunderous strike and the ball came down on the line.

Lewis Wall then headed the rebound back on to the crossbar and Rahan Ali reacted quickest to stab the ball home for Mosgiel’s second right on halftime.

Green Island responded in the opening minutes of the second half when Cam Anderson broke forward.

He forced Javier Langley into a lunging challenge on the edge of the box and referee Calvin Berg had no hesitation in awarding a red card.

Matt Milton’s great free kick reduced the deficit.

Green Island heads were up with both Brazier and Adam Hewson having good opportunities.

In the 67th minute Hewson was not to be denied. Following a Mosgiel free kick, Hook’s quick distribution found Anderson, whose forward run and pass found Hewson.

His low shot from edge of the box made it 2-2.

Mosgiel came back a few moments later when Matt Mitchell bundled over Matt Kelly in the penalty box.

In the ensuing melee Green Island was lucky to have 11 players remain on the pitch.

Rahan Ali remained calm as he side-footed the penalty to score his hat-trick.

The game opened up as Green Island searched for an equaliser.

Passions were high as both sides conceded a lot of free kicks and accumulated yellow cards — referee Calvin Berg issued a total of 10 cards.

With 10 minutes left, Green Island forced a succession of corners and on the third attempt it headed back across for Brazier to have a simple tap in to make it 3-3.

Two goals to Ryan Fleming and a third to Oliver Cassidy gave the South City Royals a 3-1 win over Roslyn Wakari at Ellis Park.

Nathan Wilkies headed in to give Roslyn a 1-0 lead, before the host side had two players sent off in the second half.

An injury time header by Ben Stanley gave Otago University a 3-3 draw with Wanaka.

Yun Sung Chang gave University an early lead before Toa Rode, Ethan Arratia and Fletch Cavanagh took Wanaka to a 3-1 advantage.

Chang scored late to pull it back, giving Stanley the chance to save a point.

An early red card to Northern’s Nayan Patel allowed Thomas Mills to give Queenstown the lead from a penalty.

He added another from the spot on fulltime, while Elgan Jones also found the net to give Queenstown a 3-0 win.

 - Neville Watson

Add a Comment






Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter