Mixed martial arts: Relief as Anderson gains title

It was an epic night for Team Hammerhead when two of its fighters won titles at the Caledonian Gymnasium in Dunedin on Saturday night.

After two unsuccessful title fights earlier this year, Brogan Anderson put his demons to rest when he won the Supremacy Fighting Championship light heavyweight title.

Anderson locked in his trademark move, forcing Hastings' Pane Haraki (Fierce Fitness) to tap out late in the first of their three-round scheduled contest.

Both started tentatively, with Haraki throwing a few leg kicks while Anderson looked to find his punching range.

Then out of nowhere Anderson drove Haraki to the canvas where he landed a few shots.

Soon it was Haraki's turn to gain a takedown and a dominant mount.

Anderson remained calm and in a sublime move flipped Haraki on his back, while at the same time locking in the arm bar and ending the fight.

It is Anderson's seventh win with five coming by way of arm bar. After the fight he said felt a mixture of relief and joy.

''It an unbelievable feeling that doesn't even feel real at the moment,'' he said.

Ricky Welsford used his impeccable wrestling and grappling skills to submit his opponent by way of arm bar, and win the International Sport Karate Association South Island amateur featherweight title.

Welsford, a former New Zealand wrestling representative, was like a spider on its prey as he trapped Christchurch's Josh McDonald on the ground, and did not let up until the Strikeforce fighter had no option but to tap.

Welsford has four wins from as many fights.

It was a night of arm bar attacks as five of the 11 mixed martial arts fights went that way.

Christchurch's Johnny Lowe showed brute strength to give the Strikeforce gym its only win when he landed an impressive arm bar in his welterweight fight.

Queenstown-Invercargill's Milner Aupouri (Tumatauenga) moved into featherweight title contention when he won by ground and pound against Team Hammerhead's Craig Wright in the first round.

There was controversy on the under-card as welterweight Dan Reveley (UMAF) beat Team Hammerhead's Matt Eden by way of rear choke.

With 1sec left in the second round, referee Karl Webber stopped the fight. With his vision obscured, Webber asked Eden to give the thumbs up.

He did that twice, but when he failed a third time Webber stopped it, much to Eden's displeasure.

After the fight Webber said it was all about safety and he thought Eden's arm had gone limp.

Kick boxer Dan Worthington (Team Hammerhead) showed some vicious leg kicks when he won a majority points decision over Rob Sutherland (Strikeforce Lee Gar).

In a light heavyweight clash, Craig Masina (Team Hammerhead) and Jason Cunningham (Tumatauenga) went all-out. A bloodied Cunningham won a unanimous points decision and squared up the ledger after Masina won their first fight in July.


Add a Comment






Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter