Second transtasman charter flight offered

Rosann Connolly-George is putting on another transtasman charter flight to meet the demand. PHOTO...
Rosann Connolly-George is putting on another transtasman charter flight to meet the demand. PHOTO: GREGOR RICHARDSON
A Dunedin travel agent "inundated" with requests for help has put on a second transtasman charter flight to help get stranded people to Australia.

The Australian Government has allowed quarantine-free one-way travel from the South Island, but with New Zealand’s Managed Isolation and Quarantine system, airlines’ disrupted flight schedule make it "almost impossible" to travel.

Last month, Dunedin travel agent Rosann Connolly-George, of Vincent George Travel, organised a charter flight for people needing to get to Australia from the South Island.

But after having "literally hundreds" of requests, she has organised another flight for next Wednesday.

"We just had so many people desperate to get home," Mrs Connolly-George said.

The first charter flight - operated by Qantas - left Christchurch just after 2pm yesterday with 173 passengers on board.

Qantas flew an empty Boeing 737 with five crew across from Brisbane especially for the flight.

Before Covid-19, Christchurch Airport was the second-busiest international airport in the country. The charter flight was the first of two for the day.

The other was an arrival from Singapore later in the afternoon.

Next Wednesday’s flight — which as of yesterday morning was two-thirds full — would also be operated by Qantas and leave at the same time as yesterday’s flight.

"I’m expecting it will sell out over the weekend," Mrs Connolly-George said.

She estimated half of the passengers on yesterday’s charter were Australians stuck in New Zealand and the other half were New Zealanders relocating to Australia.

Some passengers were expected to connect to other parts of Australia once they arrived in Brisbane.

Mrs Connolly-George already had a waiting list for people wanting to travel in the new year. But there were some fears the South Island may not be able to offer quarantine-free travel once Auckland’s borders opened.

The flights were being run at cost rather than for profit, Mrs Connolly-George said.

"It is not something we’ve put on to make money out of. We wanted to make it affordable for everybody," she said.

The conditions of travel were proof of full vaccination, a negative pre-departure PCR test result and to be in the South Island for 14 days before departure.

riley.kennedy@odt.co.nz

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter