Charges follow attack

Three police officers were allegedly assaulted, spat at and kicked on Sunday night, by a 37-year-old man who was found breaching his bail and had allegedly earlier stolen petrol from a Mornington petrol station.

Senior Sergeant Steve Aitken, of Dunedin, said the man stole petrol from the Mornington BP service station about 9pm.

When police approached him at a house, they were hit in the face, kicked and spat at, he said.

The man was eventually subdued with capsicum spray.

He faces three charges of assaulting police, three of resisting police, one charge of theft and one of disorderly behaviour.

Two teenage boys have been referred to police youth aid after they allegedly broke into about 15 vehicles in Mornington, and unlawfully took a Toyota Hilux ute on Friday night.

Snr Sgt Aitken said police found the youths, aged 14 and 15, near Moana Pool, about 5.15am on Saturday.

They face charges of theft from a car, unlawfully taking a motor vehicle and unlawfully interfering with a motor vehicle.

Dunedin police have responded to several calls about a person lurking around a house in Coney Hill Rd, Kew, during the past couple of weeks.

Snr Sgt Aitken said a resident had rung police at various times over the past couple of weeks, including up to three times in one night, to report a person walking around their property.

It appeared the person could be trying to harass the resident of the house, he said.

Police would like to speak to anyone who witnessed suspicious behaviour in the Coney Hill Rd area in the past couple of weeks.

Three people face drink-driving charges after they were caught driving over the limit, in Dunedin, at the weekend.

Snr Sgt Aitken said a 26-year-old man lost his licence for 28 days after he was stopped in Fitzroy St, Caversham, at 12.15pm on Saturday, and blew a breath-alcohol reading of 592mcg.

The man had had a previous drink-driving conviction within the past four years.

At 1.50am on Saturday, a 22-year-old man who crashed into a power pole in Queens Dr, City Rise, had a breath-alcohol level of 790mcg, he said.

At 2.50am on Sunday, a 26-year-old man stopped in Cumberland St had a breath-alcohol level of 643mcg.


Add a Comment

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter