Pair freed as remand time counts

Jacob Forde was jailed yesterday but will be released imminently because of the time he spent in...
Jacob Forde was jailed yesterday but will be released imminently because of the time he spent in jail. PHOTO: ROB KIDD
Two men who lured their victim to a car park where they beat him and robbed him of his belongings have been been jailed.

James Thompson (32) recently pleaded guilty to demanding with menaces on the eve of his trial and was sentenced to 18 months behind bars while 24-year-old Jacob James Forde yesterday in the Dunedin District Court got 15 months' imprisonment after admitting a charge of aggravated robbery.

But, the court heard, both men would be immediately released from custody because of the time they had spent on remand.

Forde picked up the victim who was led to believe they were going to view a vehicle.

They pulled up in a Corstorphine car park on the afternoon of March 18 last year and waited.

Thompson and a mate turned up.

While the victim was distracted by his phone, he dragged him from the vehicle and shoved him up against its side.

One of the three assailants threw the man to the ground then kicked him in the head as he propped himself up on his hands and knees.

Thompson, the court heard, threw the injured victim against the wheel arch of the car and told him to give up his belongings. One of them gathered his cap, shoes, bag and cellphone as he surrendered them.

The victim was also ordered to remove his ring, bracelet and necklace, which he gave to Forde before the defendants fled.

Forde appeared in court yesterday expecting to be sentenced to two and a-half years' imprisonment after a sentencing indication given by Judge Kevin Phillips.

Thompson — the lead offender — had pleaded guilty to a less serious charge and subsequently received a lesser penalty.

It would be wrong in the circumstances, the judge said, for Forde to be dealt with more harshly.

Forde, the court heard, had been in custody for 10 months and had significant meth addiction issues. He would be subject to release conditions for the next six months.

Judge Phillips ordered him to pay $477 reparation.

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter

Dunedin