Threatening behaviour, other charges admitted

A "bit of community friction" came to a head when a nunchuck-wielding man made violent threats in Waipori Falls, a court has heard.

The drama began at the small former hydro-village, an hour west of Dunedin, on January 7 when Caleb John Forbes-Brown (27) drove down the main road about 8pm.

Forbes-Brown stopped outside an address in Village Loop Rd.

The residents inside had no relationship to him, but were part of the body corporate that maintains the village.

When they came out to confront him, Forbes-Brown performed a burnout and his rear-left tyre exploded.

He then drove back down the road to his home, but returned 10 minutes later on foot.

He carried aluminium nunchucks which he initially hid in the grass.

Standing on the road, he accused the victims of throwing an object at his vehicle’s windscreen causing it to break.

Forbes-Brown refused to leave the front of the address even after being told several times to do so.

Court documents stated he then presented the nunchucks at the victims, threatening "you have two days to fix my windscreen or I’ll smash yours".

He only left the area once he realised police had been called.

The charges against Forbes-Brown of sustained loss of traction, possessing an offensive weapon, and threatening behaviour were set down for a judge-alone trial in the Dunedin District Court yesterday.

However the defendant pleaded guilty in front of Judge Dominic Flatley.

Judge Flatley told the court Forbes-Brown’s history included a few drink-driving incidents and assault.

"This sort of behaviour’s got to stop," he said.

Forbes-Brown’s family relied on him, the court heard, and he could not afford to go to prison as Judge Flatley said he would if he came back to court.

He was sentenced to eight months’ supervision and 180 hours’ community work, with no disqualification.

tina.grumball@odt.co.nz

 

 

Advertisement

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter