Confidentiality breach condemned by colleagues

Benedict Ong. Photo: Gregor Richardson
Benedict Ong. Photo: Gregor Richardson
Potential investment in Dunedin worth more than $50 million could be at risk because of a city councillor’s confidentiality breach, another councillor says.

Cr Andrew Simms said disclosure by Cr Benedict Ong of a firm’s possible interest in developing a hotel beside Dunedin’s Forsyth Barr Stadium was inexcusable.

"Cr Ong may have jeopardised $50m of external investment in vital visitor accommodation for Dunedin, along with the resultant economic development such a project would bring," he said.

Cr Simms referred to Cr Ong’s previous career in banking.

"A banker would understand better than most the meaning of commercial in confidence, and would fully understand the risks and consequences of breaching confidence at this stage of very sensitive commercial negotiations."

After Cr Ong had shared a series of emails with news media, Dunedin Venues said on Tuesday night the Russell Property Group had been engaged to further develop concept options and undertake a viability assessment for a hotel within the stadium precinct.

Far from apologising yesterday, Cr Ong sought to claim credit for what he said was an "accelerated" development.

"The forced public transparency by our council on discussions with a developer for our stadium will ensure the developer accelerates their current discussions with council," he said.

Dunedin Mayor Sophie Barker said she believed Cr Ong had again breached the council’s code of conduct.

"Councillors receive confidential information in order to assist decision-making and should be trusted to keep that information confidential," she said.

Andrew Simms. Photo: supplied
Andrew Simms. Photo: supplied
The mayor said she would be investigating how to limit confidentiality breaches.

"The feedback I have from the public and fellow councillors is that they are very angry at this behaviour."

Cr Doug Hall said he was deeply disappointed by Cr Ong’s conduct.

"It is part of a repeated pattern of behaviour that shows poor judgement, a disregard for appropriate boundaries and a failure to appreciate the damage this does to council’s ability to function effectively."

Cr Hall said he viewed the situation as serious.

"Rather than reflecting on the seriousness of repeated confidentiality concerns and the impact they have on trust, working relationships, and confidence in council processes, Cr Ong appears determined to press on regardless," he said.

"That unapologetic attitude makes a bad situation worse."

Council-owned Dunedin Venues had no additional comment yesterday.

In an email that Cr Ong leaked to the ODT on Tuesday, Dunedin City Holdings chairman Tim Loan said confidentiality breaches put council companies in a difficult position.

"Our ability to engage openly and constructively with council relies on the assurance that commercially sensitive information shared in good faith will be treated appropriately."

grant.miller@odt.co.nz

 

Advertisement