Decisions to be made on bridge rebuilds

PHOTO: GREGOR RICHARDSON
PHOTO: GREGOR RICHARDSON
A digger works at the Lee Stream bridge yesterday.

Dunedin City Council group transport manager Richard Saunders said work at the Sutton suspension bridge near Middlemarch, also badly damaged in the July floods, would start soon.

Removal of the Lee Stream bridge was expected to take around three weeks. The ford was not significantly affected by the flood and could be used as a crossing point.

Work to salvage and store the materials from the Sutton bridge would take longer, starting on October 2 and taking around six weeks.

Mr Saunders said work on options for rebuilding the bridges was continuing, but no decision had been made. A report on options was being prepared.

The council would review the report and present it to the Strath Taieri and Mosgiel-Taieri Community Boards before a decision was made. 

Add a Comment