Near-record number of submissions

Cycleways, the stadium and the Otago Rugby Football Union bail-out have helped fuel a near-record level of public submissions on the Dunedin City Council's draft budgets.

Council staff had received 958 submissions by 4.30pm yesterday, shortly before public consultation on the council's draft annual and long-term plans was due to close at 5pm.

With last-minute submissions yet to be counted, the influx meant the number of submissions was close to breaking the previous record set in 2003, when 985 were received.

Last year's total stood at just 89 until closing day, when more than 800 arrived in the hours before the 5pm deadline, pushing the total received to 953.

Council communications co-ordinator Rodney Bryant said this year's major themes included the Forsyth Barr Stadium and the rugby union's rescue package, but also Portobello Rd improvements, the demand for new cycling and library facilities and acquisitions funding for the Dunedin Public Art Gallery.

Councillors will hear from those who choose to speak to their submissions at public hearings from May 2-4, followed by deliberations from May 9-16.

 

Add a Comment

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter