You are not permitted to download, save or email this image. Visit image gallery to purchase the image.
The Dunedin City Council is unlikely to take any further action on a possibly illegal flat that was gutted in a fire last week.
One person in the Princes St building was treated for minor injuries following the fire, which was believed to have started in the kitchenette of a top-floor flat in the building.
The council said at the time it had no record of any sleeping accommodation in that building, although firefighters said the apartment where the fire was appeared to have been retro-fitted.
Consents are required to build sleeping accommodation or change the use of a building, partially to ensure adequate fire safety features are included in any work done.
The council's chief building control officer Neil McLeod said yesterday he was "not quite sure where we could take it to, given the current owner bought the building in that state".
"Unless we get some more information, I cannot see it going anywhere."