Bandido caught with weapons haul

Police at the scene of the weapons theft. Photo ODT files
Police at the scene of the weapons theft. Photo ODT files

A patched Bandido gang member from Auckland has admitted receiving a cache of military-style weapons and ammunition.

The charges came following the burglary of a Dunedin address on October 25, where a large number of firearms and ammunition were stolen.

Five rifles and 23 handguns, including several military-style semi-automatic firearms, along with ammunition, were taken from a flat in Maitland St, police said.

Grant Andrew Latimer (57) appeared at the Dunedin District Court this morning where he pleaded guilty to four counts of possessing a weapon and four of receiving, as well as possessing 2400 rounds for the firearms.

He was also charged with failing to stop for police and possession of the class-A drug methamphetamine.

His lawyer Elliot Higbee entered no pleas on behalf of his client because those charges had been only laid today and he was yet to discuss the allegations with this client.

Michael Leslie Burnard (56) is jointly charged on the weapons allegations and is scheduled to make a bail application later today.

Police said the arrest of the duo was made after searches of a vehicle and property on the outskirts of Dunedin on Wednesday night and Thursday morning last week.

According to court documents, the weapons found with Latimer included a Smith and Wesson revolver and three military-style, semi-automatic rifles, one of which had a scope.

The haul of firearms were worth $10,500, charge sheets stated.

Latimer was remanded in custody and will be sentenced next year.

Judge Crosbie called for a pre-sentence report without appendices, meaning a term of imprisonment was inevitable.

rob.kidd@odt.co.nz

 

drivesouth-pow-generic-1.png

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter