Warning over toxic algae in Tomahawk Lagoon

Tomahawk Lagoon. Photo: ODT files
Tomahawk Lagoon. Photo: ODT files
Potentially toxic algae has been found in Tomahawk Lagoon and people should keep themselves and their pets out of the water.

The Otago Regional Council said results from the weekly samples taken at the lagoon showed high levels of potentially toxic cyanobacteria (blue-green algae).

Cyanobacteria can produce toxins which may cause serious illness in people and animals.

Council lakes scientist Hugo Borges said potentially toxic algae occurred naturally and blooms were more common during summer, when low rainfall, warm temperatures, the right level of nutrients, and more sunlight created an environment where it could thrive.

It was not possible to predict how long the algae would take to recede.

"The most important thing is to keep out of the water until the warning is removed," he said.

The regional council has installed warning signs at the entrance to the upper lagoon and at the creek that enters Tomahawk Beach as a precaution in the event the wind sweeps the algae down.

All warning signs would remain in place until monitoring showed the algal bloom had reduced and weekly samples were consistently below levels posing any threat to health. 

Add a Comment







Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter