CTV families plan to fight on

Families who lost loved ones in 2011’s Christchurch earthquake CTV building collapse are planning to fight even harder to get justice after meeting police.

Prof Maan Alkaisi, who lost his wife in the collapse, is not convinced by the arguments put up by police and the Solicitor-general.

‘‘I am now determined to go ahead and keep fighting until justice is done,’’ he said after the meeting.

Police announced they would not be prosecuting the engineers of the CTV building earlier this month.

The building collapse killed 115 people, including 65 foreign students.

A meeting yesterday gave families the chance to ask the experts questions about why a three-yearlong, $1.18 million criminal investigation led to no charges being laid.

‘‘After listening to other families it was clear that the police arguments were not convincing,’’ Prof Alkaisi said.

Detective Superintendent Peter Read said it was a productive meeting.

But when asked if a judicial review of the decision not to prosecute would go ahead, he said that would be up to the families.

The families will also meet Minister of Justice Andrew Little on Sunday. 

Add a Comment

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter