Chimney fire renders home unlivable

A Ranfurly family has been rendered homeless after a chimney fire.

Volunteer firefighters from Ranfurly and Naseby rushed to contain the fire about 10am on Saturday at the A-frame house in Caulfield St, which spread into the roof space.

Ranfurly Chief Fire Officer James Hazlett said the home was unlivable.

He understood the family had been given temporary accommodation in motels and were receiving support from the community.

Access was difficult and firefighters had to remove sections of the A-frame's roof to battle the blaze

It remained unclear whether hot metal on the chimney had sparked the fire, or whether embers inside the chimney were to blame, Mr Hazlett said.

"They had stoked the fire up and 10 minutes later they started to see the smoke," he said.

Add a Comment

 

 

Advertisement

postanote_header_620_x_80.png

postanote_620_x_25.jpg