Caravan gas alert

Caravan users are being warned to check caravan gas appliances, after a fire reduced a caravan at a Lake Aviemore campsite to a ''pile of ash'' yesterday.

Fire engines from the Otematata and Kurow Volunteer Fire Brigades were called to attend to a caravan fire at the Parsons Rock campsite at 2.40pm, and Otematata Volunteer Fire Brigade Chief Fire Officer Mike Thomas said it was the third fire believed to have been started by gas in the past two weeks.

Firefighters spent about half an hour tackling the blaze, believed to have started from a gas fridge, he said.

''It's the third gas fire, believed started by gas, that we have had in the last couple of weeks.''

He reminded people to check gas bottles and O-rings on gas bottles, to ensure safety.

The caravan being used by the family, who were outside at the time of the fire, burned to the ground, he said.

Add a Comment

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter