Disney’s ‘Mulan’ crew leaves after Mackenzie stint

A Chinese fortress on the 'Mulan' set. Photo: Stephen Jaquiery
A Chinese fortress on the 'Mulan' set. Photo: Stephen Jaquiery
Disney has left the South Island. About 800 to 900 crew working on the live-action remake of Mulan had been staying in the Mackenzie Basin for the past four weeks, the film’s unit publicist  confirmed for the first time.

She spoke to the Otago Daily Times from Auckland  on  condition her name was not used.

The ODT has been asking to speak to someone directly connected to the production since August. Omarama’s Clay Cliffs and the Ahuriri Valley were known to be locations, but she confirmed Poolburn was also used. About 600 crew  stayed in the area, she said.

"I don’t know if I want to be specific with locations, but obviously we were in the Ahuriri Valley and we stayed in like Twizel, Omarama, Otematata," she said.

"We hired around 12 or so locals both in locations department and production. We probably had about 40 to 50 local drivers," she said.

"We’ve also hired plumbers, local fence contractors, electricians, earthmoving contractors and obviously restaurants and cafes in the areas that we’ve been staying in."

She said the film crew had "a little bit more work" to do in Auckland. Shot in New Zealand and China, the film is due to open in US theatres on March 27, 2020.

Add a Comment

 

Advertisement

postanote_header_620_x_80.png

postanote_620_x_25.jpg