WBHS board meeting closed

The Waitaki Boy's High School emblem and motto. Photo by ODT.
The Waitaki Boy's High School emblem and motto. Photo by ODT.
Details of a meeting last night between the Waitaki Boys' High School board of trustees and Ministry of Education over pupil behaviour will remain secret at least until today, when a statement will be released about the discussions, board chairman Garry McLeod says.

The board excluded the public from the discussion with the ministry's Otago-Southland manager Kathryn Palmer and senior adviser Lynn McKinney.

After the discussion, which lasted about an hour and a-half, Ms Palmer would not comment on what took place and referred all questions to Mr McLeod, who said a statement would be released today.

The ministry had been asked by the Otago Daily Times on Monday if the meeting would also discuss management issues within the school, rumours of which had been circulating since last year.

Before the meeting, both the Ministry of Education and Mr McLeod said it was to discuss what support might be available after concerns were raised about pupil behaviour during the first term which had led to suspensions.

Rector Paul Jackson had arranged for the visit at the end of last term.

Mr McLeod, when the meeting convened at 6.30pm, said it would go ''into committee''.

Two media representatives and two members of the public would have to leave, but ministry representatives would stay.

However, the Local Government and Public Meetings Act, which covers boards of trustees meetings, requires a reference to the section under which the public will be excluded, a general summary of what is to be discussed and a reason for doing so.

No motion was moved or seconded, and no vote taken.

The Otago Daily Times asked Mr McLeod for the board to follow correct procedure, and a recommendation was then moved, seconded and voted upon.

Mr McLeod was asked by the ODT for the reason under the terms of the Act. He replied ''for discussions with Kathryn'' [Palmer].

There was no general summary of the item provided.

The public and media left the meeting.

The board's agenda for last night's meeting had as the opening item: ''Ministry of Education visiting'', followed at 7pm by the property report.

The one-page agenda had no details about the visit, any listed recommendations, nor any indication the public would be excluded, as required under the Act.

Add a Comment