Queenstown Airport CEO takes pay cut

New Queenstown Airport chief executive Glen Sowry’s taken a pay cut in his new role.

Figures released by Queenstown Airport Corporation show Sowry, who started in the job earlier this month, has a base salary of $490,000 with the potential to earn another $80,000 a year in bonuses, taking his potential salary to $570,000 for this financial year, on par with his predecessor Colin Keel, whose salary was in the $570,000-$580,000 bracket by the time he left.

Sowry’s previous role was as chief executive of Metlife Care, a retirement care business.

According to its 2020 annual report, Sowry’s total remuneration for the year ended June, 2020, was $786,555.

In his new job, his performance is linked to several things, like achieving the Statement of Intent objectives and targets, including completing a strategic business plan with a 10-year outlook; ensuring the continued stable financial performance of the airport company through the uncertainty of Covid, safeguarding its core capacity to operate vital and lifeline airport infrastructure and to support the recovery of the district; and open engagement with the airport’s communities, shareholders, customers and supply base.

Along with an annual remuneration review, there’s a retention bonus of up to $100,000 if Sowry stays in the job three years.

The at-risk component of Sowry’s annual package will be formally assessed by the board at the end of each year and paid in full, in part, or not at all.

The salary package means Sowry’s on less than other chief executives in similar airport roles.

By comparison, Christchurch International Airport Ltd boss Malcolm Johns received performance-related bonuses of $100,000 and $80,000 in the last financial year, elevating his salary package to $898,640.

Star News reported in February his $100,000 incentive, relating to ‘‘long-term strategy that builds shareholder value’’, including Tarras International Airport in Central Otago, was paid in full.

But $20,000 from his other $100,000 incentive was withheld, due to the impact of ‘‘short-term commercial outcomes in the last four months of the year from Covid-19’’.

Wellington Airport boss Steve Sanderson - who had the reins of Queenstown Airport for over four years before moving to the capital in 2012 - is pulling in between $1.37 million and $1.38m, while Auckland International Airport CEO Adrian Littlewood’s salary band’s between $1.65m and $1.66m.

Comments

Good on him ... even though he is getting paid far too much anyway, it's the thought that counts apparently !!

Now if Jimbo and the other 1%ers in Queenstown did the same and just paid themselves the "living wage" for the next 10 years, there'd be no need for the government (AKA We, the other 99%ers) to subsidise outrageously high salaries.

Actually, I believe it may be appropriate for the government to look into whether it be an opportune time to change the country's financial system to something more in line with the old communist system where everyone gets paid the same ... like it, or choose your blindfold !!
(or just adjust your mask upward a bit ... saves on washing the blood off and we all know how much a hot wash costs these days)

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter