Three referred to Youth Aid

Three Balclutha youths under 17 were been referred to Youth Aid on drink-driving charges in the past four weeks.

"Just to give you an idea of how unusual that is, for the whole 12 months from July last year to June this year, there were three," Sergeant Martin Bull, of Balclutha, said.

A 16-year-old youth on a restricted licence who was under Youth Aid action on a voluntary three-month driving disqualification for a drink-driving offence on April 24, when he recorded a breath-alcohol reading of 490mcg, was apprehended again for drink-driving on July 3.

He drew attention to himself at 11.40pm on Victoria Rd, South Dunedin, with a sustained loss of traction manoeuvre, resulting in his being processed for drink-driving and returning a breath-alcohol level of 235mcg.

He was carrying four passengers in his car.

At 1.20am on July 11, a 16-year-old Clydevale youth was caught driving a motocross motorcycle on Clyde St. He was carrying a pillion passenger and neither was wearing a helmet, Sgt Bull said.

His breath test showed 581mcg. "That is over the adult limit, and almost four times over the youth limit," Sgt Bull said.

On July 24, a 15-year-old Balclutha youth was recorded at 482mcg when he was stopped on the Owaka Highway at 1.45am. He was too drunk to control the car and was weaving all over the road, Sgt Bull said. He had two passengers.

Sgt Bull said he was disappointed. Two of the youths referred to Youth Aid could face court because of previous offending.

"You not only endanger yourselves and your passengers, but also the other road users. It could be your mum and dad coming the other way, or it could be your best friend."

Sgt Bull said extra staff would be on patrol this weekend.

 

Add a Comment

drivesouth-pow-generic-1.png

drivesouth-pow-classic-2.png

 

Advertisement

postanote_header_620_x_80.png

postanote_620_x_25.jpg

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter