You are not permitted to download, save or email this image. Visit image gallery to purchase the image.
A Fire and Emergency New Zealand spokesman confirmed two appliances were sent to the hospital about 10am this morning.
“There was a sprinkler alarm activation after it was accidentally damaged by a workman.”
A reporter at the scene saw crowds of people standing outside the back and front entrances to the main block of the hospital.
The evacuated staff and patients re-entered the hospital about 10.30am.
Down the road, about the same time, a power pole caught fire on Avon Rd off Bluff Highway.
The spokesman confirmed firefighters attended after reports of a transformer smoking.
The crew was on standby until a power company arrived and took over.