Firefighters unable to save house despite full response

A house in Westport was destroyed by fire yesterday.
A house in Westport was destroyed by fire yesterday.
A Coates St house was razed in a noon blaze in Westport yesterday, despite a full response by emergency services.

Jordan Sibley and some friends were going to lunch when they saw the house "billowing out smoke".

"We pulled over to check it out and ran up to the gate when a distressed lady ran out saying ‘my house is on fire, my house is on fire’."

Mr Sibley said the medium-sized house was "pretty much gone" with "flames way above the roof".

There were some concerns over gas bottles at the residence.

The homeowner is understood to have suffered burns to her hand and smoke inhalation. A pet dog was saved.

Power was disconnected by contractors and four fire engines, including one each from Granity and Waimangaroa, and 20 firefighters, were on the scene.

Police and St John attended.

By Meg Fulford