Caversham, Roslyn win cup ties

Tim Horner
Tim Horner
Caversham and Roslyn Wakari were the winners of the Chatham Cup ties on Saturday.

Caversham took on Otago University at the Caledonian and came away with a 3-0 win, while Roslyn Wakari had an easy 7-1 victory over Timaru side West End.

At the Caledonian, the first half was even and both teams could not be separated.

Caversham went ahead in the 54th minute.

Captain Andy Ridden was fouled following a jinky run forward.

Ben Kiore's free kick was finished by Campbell Thompson.

The lead was doubled 12 minutes later, after University' custodian Stu Catto had pulled of a double save to deny Kiore and Ridden but conceded a corner.

Kiore's pinpoint delivery found an unmarked Tim Horner.

The students began to dominate possession but any pressure was nullified by the Caversham defence.

Caversham's entry into the round of 16 was confirmed when substitute Caleb Mazure got the third goal in the 89th minute.

A Hessian goal kick was splendidly controlled by Connor Neil, who passed to Rohan Nathu and his through ball allowed Mazure to finish.

Roslyn Wakari got off to flyer when Tennessee Kinghorn scored two goals inside the first 10 minutes.

Emily Morrison
Emily Morrison
His first came after beating the defender on the outside and driving the ball into the far post. The second strike came when he reacted quickest to a loose ball following Connor Allnutt's initial superb save.

Luke Clissold made it three shortly afterwards.

Hiromu Iizuka scored Roslyn's fourth on 21 minutes from a free kick.

West End started the better of the two sides in the second half and Connor Alridge capitalised on a defensive error to pull one back seven minutes into the second half.

Iizuka's effort on 66 minutes was superbly tipped on to the crossbar by Allnutt, who was extremely unfortunate to see the rebound bounce off him and in.

Clissold made it 6-1 from close range before Kinghorn completed his hat trick on 70 minutes.

In the Kate Sheppard Cup, holder Dunedin Technical was too strong for Roslyn Wakari under lights at the new turf on Saturday, winning 10-0 after being up 6-0 after 20 minutes.

Mikayla Gray with a brace, Coral Seaton and Emily Morrison's hat trick did the damage.

Further goals to Tabitha Seaton and Shontelle Smith made it 8-0 by halftime.

Kate Guilford scored early in the second half and Morrison netted her fourth in the 59th minute to send Tech into the quarterfinals.

In the Championship, Wanaka hosted Dunedin Technical, the visitor winning 5-1.

Technical started strongly, scoring in the opening minute, when Tim McLennan reacted to a rebound from Caleb Russ's header.

Russ scored himself with five minutes gone as Technical streaked away.

Just before halftime, Michael Bergin started a move that he finished himself with a header to make it 3-0. Wanaka pulled one back but Tech replied immediately when left fullback Liam Lockhart struck from 25m out.

Right on fulltime, Russ bagged his brace to give Tech an impressive 5-1 win on the road.

Queenstown beat Northern 5-2 at Forrester Park.

Queenstown opened the scoring after five minutes, when Jan Kumar's cross was met with a firm bullet header from Lewis Walters.

Northern replied with two goals to take a 2-1 lead.

Queenstown responded and equalised when Cohen Nash chipped the goalkeeper.

Nash made it 3-2 at halftime when he finished off some intricate play.

Chris Baines scored the fourth again from a Kumar corner.

Luke Dennington scored the fifth and final goal when he strode forward from defence and chipped the goalkeeper from 25m out.

With one round to play in the Christchurch Mainland Premier league, Nomads and Western have followed Cashmere and Nelson into the South Island league.

The final spot will be fought out between Ferrymead, Selwyn and Coastal Spirit.

 - Neville Watson

Add a Comment