Mosgiel comes back from 2-0 down to earn hard-fought draw

Mosgiel and Roslyn-Wakari fought out a 2-2 draw in the Southern premiership league on Saturday.

Roslyn was back to nearly full strength, while Mosgiel had a few players missing.

Roslyn took an early stranglehold on the game,

gaining the lead on 15 minutes when, following a well-flighted corner from Luke Clissold, the ball came off Tom Poole for an own goal.

The home team went further ahead 10 minutes later when another Clissold corner floated into the box and was met by the dominant figure of Josh Lucas, who powered home a header.

Mosgiel finally came into the game and right on halftime a forward run from Issac Hamilton found Rory Findlay, who crossed into the box and Rhys Quarrell angled a fine header past goalkeeper Tom Stevens.

The goal changed the game and Mosgiel became the more dominant side in the second half, with Ben Reeve and Javier Langley going close.

Flynn McCaul was Roslyn’s main attacking threat.

Mosgiel made attacking substitutions and with 10 minutes to go, substitute Taylor Donaldson was bundled over in the box and referee Lindsay Robinson pointed to the spot.

Stevens guessed the right way and saved the penalty.

With time up, Mosgiel’s Caleb Osborne’s exquisite heel flick went to the speedy Quarrell and he blasted past Stevens for the equaliser.

Quarrell nearly chalked up a hat trick at the end when his shot went narrowly wide.

Queenstown grabbed a 3-2 win in Wanaka.

Wanaka took the lead on six minutes when target man Steve Pleskun put the ball past keeper Daniel Bocatios.

Queenstown soon restored parity when Graeme Beveridge lobbed the ball over goalkeeper Aaron Molloy.

Wanaka took back the lead on 12 minutes when Adam Harms scored from the penalty spot following a hand ball.

Queenstown equalised with 70 minutes played after a corner, substitute Zac Houston on hand to blast a loose ball home.

In the 85th minute, Queenstown got the winner following a free kick taken from the edge of the box. The initial shot was saved by Molloy but Beveridge reacted quickest to the rebound and smashed his shot high into the roof of the net.

South City Royals overcame a plucky Northern side at Forrester Park 2-0 thanks to first half goals to Kaleb de Groot-Green and Connor Neil.

University will take on Green Island in the final game of the round tomorrow night.

 - Neville Watson

Add a Comment






Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter