You are not permitted to download, save or email this image. Visit image gallery to purchase the image.
1. Arthur’s Walk, from the intersection of Portobello Rd and Doon St to Shandon Rd, in Vauxhall. This was described as both "really steep, but goes past people’s lovely back gardens" and "good for running".
2. The steps from the end of Macandrew Rd up to Easther Cres clearly remain a favourite shortcut.
3. The Kyber Pass, from Heriot Row to Duchess Ave and on to Drivers Rd. An apparent misspelling of Khyber Pass.
4. Steep St steps. These well named steps provide a shortcut from Maitland St to Eglinton Rd.
5. Killiecrankie Pass goes from Rainton Rd, off Easther Cres, to Murray St. The Pass of Killiecrankie is in Scotland.
6. Forfar St to Barnes Dr and Bridge St. One of the lower loops of Forfar St, a couple of winds before Leckhampton Ct, offers shortcuts down to these two Caversham streets by track and steps respectively.
7. Falcon St steps. The sections of Falcon St from Kaikorai Valley Rd and Highgate are connected in the middle by steps.
8. Linking Maryhill Tce. There are several shortcuts close together linking Maryhill Tce and Reynolds St, Appold St and Avoca St, and Carson St and Glen Rd.
9. Mercer St to Netherby St to Mornington Rd. No doubt well used by Balaclava and Kaikorai Valley school pupils, this shortcut saves a long walk along Elgin Rd.
10. Steps leading from Eglinton Rd/Mailer St down to Glenpark Ave follow what was once the Maryhill extension cable car route — known as the "big dipper".
11. On the first straight stretch of Portobello Rd past the Andersons Bay inlet, there’s a track up to Danube St, saving a lot of distance on the Larnach Rd alternative.
12. Cutting through to Belleknowes. At the top of York Pl, cut through to Queens Dr then take another track up through the Town Belt bush to Alison Cres.
13. Shortcut to Roslyn. From Stuart St, above Otago Boys’ High School, take the steps by the tennis courts to Sligo Tce.
Then there were these two suggestions, dating from the late-1940s and 1950s.
Shortcut 1. From Campbells Rd, Pine Hill down towards North East Valley and linking up with Watts Rd, down past A&T Burt’s old buildings.
Shortcut 2. Up Blacks Rd from North East Valley into Signal Hill Rd, then across the paddocks to the Centennial Monument and down to Ravensbourne.