Down at the shed

PHOTO: GREGOR RICHARDSON
PHOTO: GREGOR RICHARDSON
Isla (12, left) and Evelyn (8) Craigie soak in the atmosphere at the opening of the Mornington cable car shed on Saturday.

Hundreds of spectators swarmed to Mornington Park to see historic Dunedin cable cars emerge from their new home.

Mayor Dave Cull and Dunedin North MP David Clark officially opened the facility, which was finished earlier this year.

Bagpipers set the tone as two restored cable cars were rolled out of the shed for the crowd to look through.

It also marked the beginning of fundraising for the next stage of the project, expected to cost $6million to $8million. For this, the Dunedin Heritage Light Rail Trust plans to expand the shed into a two-storey complex able to hold at least six cable cars, a cafe, a museum and sports changing rooms.

Trust chairman Neville Jemmett said Saturday was ``magic''. Completion of the next stage would depend on when the money came in, he said.

Add a Comment

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter