Drink-driver told to address issues

A man convicted for his seventh drink-driving offence has been told to ''sort out'' his issues with alcohol before he kills someone.

Judge Dominic Flatley told Jason Noel Scott (30), of Dunedin, in the Dunedin District Court yesterday, if he failed to address his issue with alcohol, he would go to prison again.

''You have one shot and one shot only.''

Scott had six previous convictions before his sentence yesterday for driving with excess breath-alcohol (third or subsequent charge) and careless driving after he lost control of a Mazda on State Highway 8, Cromwell Gorge, on May 4 and hit a crash barrier.

The vehicle had no warrant of fitness and was unlicensed and Scott recorded 512mcg of alcohol per litre of breath (the legal limit is 400mcg).

Counsel for the defendant, Bernadette Turner, said Scott had confirmation of a place in a six-week residential treatment course in Christchurch, starting on Monday.

Judge Flatley said Scott was last before the court in 2009 and had been sentenced to prison twice, once in 2005 for six months and again in 2009 for seven months, but jail had not had the ''desired effect''.

''You are a young man and you need to change your ways.''

He was prepared to give him ''a shot'' but if Scott did not change and take the opportunity to deal with his alcohol issues, he would be back before the courts.

His sentence would be judicially monitored, with a progress report going to Judge Flatley every three months.

There were serious consequences to not succeeding, Judge Flatley said.

''You could very easily have an accident and kill someone, ruining someone's life and the lives of their family and also your own.

''You need to sort this out, but if you fail you will go to prison.''

Scott was sentenced to 15 months' intensive supervision and 250 hours' community work, suspended for eight weeks. He was also disqualified from driving or holding a licence for two years and ordered to pay reparation of $849.

Add a Comment

 

drivesouth-pow-classic-2.png

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter